First, I want to give a special shout-out to Joy for commenting (yay for delurking) about the pet water fountain. Apparently it's a pain to clean. I definitely always appreciate any thoughts and feedback! It sounds like the fountain would be far more trouble than it's worth. Joy, your comment didn't link to anything, so if you have a blog please feel free to share.. I'd love to check it out. And best wishes on training for a 1/2 marathon!
Now, with my 25th birthday on the horizon (May 13) the number 25 is on my brain. Today I want to do something I've seen on a few other blogs: list the songs in my "Top 25 Most Played" list on my ipod and share why they're there. I thought this might be fun!
1. Yeah! by Usher - This is one of my favorite songs to run to... and to play when I'm getting dressed to go out. I just really like the beat
2. Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap - I was interminably obsessed with this song last year and still listen to it often enough that it's stayed high on the list. I love how the only instruments are their voices.
3. Portions for Foxes by Rilo Kiley - This is another great one for running. And for singing with really loud in the car.
4. Forca by Nelly Fortado - This goes on every running playlist I make. I really just love how bouncy the whole thing feels.
5. Carry the Zero by Built to Spill - While not an incredibly upbeat song, I still run to it a lot. Something about the music... it just kind of flows along in this beautiful way that makes me forget everything else on my mind.
6. When the Night Feels My Song by Bedouin Soundclash - It's upbeat, cheerful, and great to listen to on a sunny day when all feels right with the world. (And I run to it a lot)
7. Caroline by David Gray - I just love David Gray. I like how peppy this song feels.
8. Here (In Your Arms) by Hellogoodbye - It kind of has a techno beat that is perfectly in coordination with my personal running beat.
9. The Story by Brandi Carlile - First of all, she has an amazing voice. Second of all, it's a sweet song but it also rocks out. And finally, it always gives me happy thoughts of one day having someone to share my stories with.
10. Extreme Ways by Moby - Yes, the theme for all the Bourne Identity films. Fabulous song I've run to for a while. (The live remix version is also pretty spectacular.)
11. Ruby Blue by Roisin Murphy - It has a super cool funky beat. I run to it. I dance around my bedroom to it. I got it from the Grey's Anatomy soundtrack and then HAD to get more of her tunes, like Ramalama (Bang Bang) which is also amazing.
12. Fix You by Coldplay - This song has moved me to tears before, but now it's kind of a symbol for me that it's usually better to let go than to hold on. It really makes me happy so I listen to it often. The end is phenomenal.
13. Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood - I won't lie. I really like singing along really loud to this one. And running to it. And thinking about how if there's ever a poor soul who cheats on me I probably won't key his car, but I certainly would find a way to walk away the better person of the two. (Praying I never experience this, though.)
14. Oxygen by Colbie Caillat - I like to sing along and it's kind of fun to daydream as I listen to it. I can identify with the idea of wanting to be faithful and loyal to someone.
15. How We Operate by Gomez - This is just a unique song by a band I found last year and LOVE.
16. Nothing Better by The Postal Service - It's a fairly sad song, but I've been in the position of the female singer before so it always feels kind of empowering to hear it.
17. My Love by Justin Timberlake - Next time he's in town, I'm going. I really dig his album, and this song is my favorite to run to.
18. The Best of What's Around by Dave Matthews Band - One of my all-time favorite DMB songs. Great message and awesome to run to.
19. Four Winds by Bright Eyes - I run to this one all the time. I love theupbeat tempo and the use of a fiddle. I saw them perform this one last year at their concert and it was a fantastic experience.
20. River Deep, Mountain High by Celine Dion - This always reminds me of Tina Turner music. It's REALLY upbeat and kind of soulful. It goes on the running playlist a lot.
21. 15 Step by Radiohead - I don't usually run to Radiohead a lot, but I listen to their newest album like crazy and really like running to this tune.
22. Crazy by Gnarls Barkley - It's such a fun song to run to and listen to bopping along down the interstate.
23. Heavenly Day by Patti Griffin - First of all, she's amazing. Second, this is just such a fantastic song that takes me to a happy place no matter what's going on in my world.
24. Casimir Pulaski Day by Sufjan Stevens - If you've never listening to Sufjan. start now. It's totally different from everything else I own. A friend recommended him last year, and I ended up buying an entire album because I liked his stuff s much. Really cool tunes.
25. If You Could Only See by Tonic - It's super old school, but it's been a classic favorite for me for years. I don't even know why. Maybe it's because I have blue eyes.
And there you have it. Granted, as I look over this list I don't feel like it's a very good representation of ALL that I listen to. I mean, I have days of music on my itunes. I have new stuff I listen to all the time now but that hasn't worked itself onto the rotation of the Top 25 list. Nonetheless, this gives you a decent idea of some of the things I listen to both when I run and when I'm in the car.
More posts concering "25" in the coming weeks between now and my birthday.