Thursday, September 11, 2008

Mid-Week Long Run: DONE

I did it! (And I hope that line makes all my fellow DMB fans burst into song.)

I ran 10 miles yesterday... in the heat and humidity... after working all day... and after several nights of staying up a bit too late on the phone with a boy.

It took me longer than usual - 1:42:00 - but I finished. I'll take it. It's about getting the miles in right now. Honestly, it was about a 10:12 m/m pace, and that's not half bad when you consider the weather. I am NOT cut out for heat running. I never have been, even back in my high school cross country days. Running in the heat is hard on anyone, but some people can manage it better. I am not one of those people.

When I first started, my legs felt like bricks. This was a littl surprising since they felt great during Monday's run, but after the first mile they loosened up.

However, at the 1.75 mile marker, I had an urge to go to the bathroom. I thought it might pass like it often does, but by 2 miles I knew that wasn't happening. I stopped and stood there for a second trying to figure out what to do. I could run the 2 miles back to my car and use the bathroom at the town center, but I knew I'd have a hard time getting myself to go back out for 6 more miles. I could keep going for 3 miles to the end where I knew there'd be a porta-potty. By the time I thought through this, I had started feeling like there was NO way I could make it in either direction.

Then, a ray of sunshine came down from the clouds and spotlighted a porta-potty 50 yards away in the field. I run on the greenway all the time and it has NEVER been there before. It was an answered prayer. I have never been so happy to see a porta-potty.

Once I took care of business, I felt pretty good as I made my way to the 5 mile turnaround point. Once I started making my way back, the run started getting progressively more difficult. My water was hot. I was hot. I was sweaty. And it was all I could do to keep moving.

But I did. I made it back to my car. I only walked a little here and there to drink some of my hot water in an attempt to stay hydrated. I finished in a somewhat decent time. And now I can go to Canada and not worry that I missed a run because I already got it in!

I'm SOOO excited about leaving today. Plans call for some Toronto sightseeing, a trip to Canada's Wonderland (where they have like 10 huge rollercoasters!), and a trip to Niagra Falls before heading back home. Best of all? Time spent with two of my favorite girls in the world.

This will be my last big trip for a little while. It looks like I'll be making some road trips to Memphis in the near future (something to do with the fact that Andrew lives there, ha), but no more trips requiring a plane for a while. I suppose it's time to wrap up my crazy summer of traveling all over the place. My bank account will appreciate it, too!

Have a great weekend and come back Monday to hear about the weekend and see pictures!


*aron* said...

i am totally with you on the hot runs... not for me!

awesome job for getting it DONE!!!

have a GREAT weekend with the girls!!

E said...

Have fun! Be careful! Don't get too crazy! (Just enough to have fun!)