Monday, October 20, 2008

The Big 2-0

Before I get started... I voted today! Yay! I opted to go as soon as the doors opened this morning, and it only took me 20 minutes. VERY excited. So one cute little "I voted" sticker later and I've got this election behind me.

As you all know, I hit the 20-mile mark on Friday morning. In a word? Dang.

Thursday night Amanda and I had a good meal at a local restaurant with my folks and then did a little shopping at a few stores she doesn't have back in Canada. I opted to climb into bed early so that I'd be ready for my 6am alarm.

The weather on Friday morning was PERFECT for a 20-miler. Cloudy. Cool. Not too windy. I opted to start with shorts and a long-sleeved shirt, but I took a long a short-sleeve as well. I packed the cooler, ate a granola bar, grabbed my fuel belt and headed to the park.

I was very fortunate to find a new friend through the local running club that needed to run 20 and that also runs about my pace. We met up and set out for the first out and back section. We decided to take it easy and stopped once for a few minutes at our 5-mile turnaround point to eat a bit and drink some water. We finished the first 10 miles in about 1:54 (I think... my memory is fuzzy from all the running) and stopped to use the bathrooms in the town center and refill water bottles. I also went on and changed shirts since I knew it'd be warming up a bit. We set out once again, both of us still feeling pretty good.

The sun came out when we were about 15 miles or so on, but it didn't get above 60 degrees or so. I could definitely feel myself getting a little tired as we headed back toward the parking lot, but I never really felt like I needed to stop. In fact, I only stopped briefly every 5 miles to eat/drink. The rest of the time I was running.

We finished in 3:47, meaning we ran about an 11:2o pace on average. I believe it served us well to run it a bit slower like we did. First of all, it's always wise to have some runs where you're on your feet a bit longer than usual so that they can get used to it. Second, we were talking pretty much the entire time... not only did this cause us to run a little slower, it also really helped with increasing our lung capacity. Also a good thing!

For a 20 mile training run, it definitely went well. I'm so thankful I had someone to run it with because it certainly made it a lot easier than if I had to do it all by myself (and yes, I just heard Celine Dion singing when I typed that!)

After the run, I grabbed a bag of ice and headed home for another ice bath. Amanda hung out with me to talk the whole time and keep my mind off of how terrifically cold an ice bath can be! After a shower and a good meal at Fazoli's, we hit the road to head to Knoxville for the weekend.

I definitely felt a bit stiff the rest of the day (and not to mention worn out), but the biggest concern came when I got out of the car and found that there was some sort of knot popping in my right ankle. It didn't really hurt or make a popping sound, but it was definitely weird. I couldn't help but worry a bit about it, but when I got up on Saturday the popping was gone. By Sunday, my ankles weren't even sore any more. I think it was just something that had tightened in my ankle and formed a knot... and it just had to relax. In hindsight, we probably should have stopped a couple of times on the way to K-town so that I could get out and stretch a bit.

A post about the weekend will soon come... I need to do it from home so that I can add some pictures.

Hope everyone had a great weekend! I haven't even opened google reader yet, but I am willing to bet there will be a lot there for me to read.

20 miler down. 22 miler coming this weekend. Double Dang.


J said...

Great job on the long run! I am glad it went so well and that your ankles are better. I do not like popping or anything of that nature!

Mojito Maven said...

WOW! Great job on the long run!!!!!

*aron* said...

awesome job!! you nailed the 20 miler!