Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sunday in Chicago

On Sunday, Erin and I woke up around 7:30.  We agreed we could have slept all day (being awake for 35 straight hours was definitely a new experience for me), but Erin has never been to Chicago and wanted to see the city... and I'm not one to sleep the day away either.

We woke Steph and her hubby up, and they took us to a cute little diner near their house for breakfast.  We ordered a LOT of food... as in, I asked for the Big Man breakfast and then asked if I could get the blueberry pancakes instead of buttermilk and then if they could add cheese to my eggs.  We both at every. last. bite.  I think we may have finished it before Steph had even finished cutting her pancakes.  I think her husband was amazed that we could eat so much.

We took the train over to see the Bean and take the fun tourist photos.

We walked over the Grant Park to see Buckingham Fountain.

We did some shopping at H&M (it pains me we don't have one of these in Nashville!)

We went up in the Hancock Building to the bar to get a nice view of the city... it was a GORGEOUS day, and we had a great time walking around and exploring a bit. (Yes, our legs were a little sore and we were tired, but we were determined to soak up Chicago.)

We met back up with Steph's hubby and another friend for mimosas and lunch.

And by lunch, I mean yet another meal where we ordered as many carbs as possible... and then ate every bite.

Seriously, I rarely eat meals this big... and I rarely have two of them five hours apart.

We were soon off to the airport to fly back to Nashville.  My folks picked me up, and when they suggested Steak-N-Shake it was music to my ears.  I rarely eat hamburgers, but my body must have needed protein because having one sounded amazing.

And thus I ate my third giant meal of the day.

Recovery has been interesting.  It took a couple of days for the hungry-all-the-freakin-time to go away, but I've been exhausted ever since I got back.  Apparently recovering from being awake for 35 hours straight isn't easy.  Nonetheless, I had a blast and would do it all again in a heartbeat.

In fact, we're already talking about doing the relay in Key West in January. :)

1 comment:

Alisa said...

Reading all of your ragnar reports makes me really want to do a relay! Despite the lack of sleep it sounds like a total blast!