Tuesday, August 23, 2011

New Trend

There's a new trend in my life, and I'm not sure I like it.

For the second time in this training cycle, I have run in a thunderstorm.  I know two times might not seem like a lot, but considering the only other time before this that I've run in a storm was at a race (and I've been running for YEARS), it seems like a lot to me.

I woke up Sunday morning and realized it was lightning.  I texted my friends to make sure they were still planning to go to the group training run.  We had 18 on tap, and it seemed we were all on board.  Liz even told me the storm was supposed to pass before we even started.

I got dressed.  It started pouring.  I got in the car and started driving.  It poured harder.

I believe I sent a text to Liz that said "5:45 my @$$!" because it was almost 6 and the storm was not gone by 5:45 like she had said, haha.

I parked and managed to force myself out of the car to find the 5 others I was going to run with.  A few other people hopped out of cars and joined our little group.  We decided there was no sense standing around and took off.

In the thunder. And lightning.  And pouring rain.

It was actually a little fun at first splashing through puddles and such.

And really, I figured my odds of getting struck by lightning are smaller than those of heat exhaustion or dehydration if we waited out the storm, started later, and then finished later in the higher temps.

The rain let up after a couple of miles.  The worst part was just being soaking wet.  I felt pretty good for the first 8 miles, but shortly before the turnaround I had a "need to use the potty now" moment.  I took care of business and we took back off, but my stomach never felt quite right for the rest of the run.

The last few miles on the path back to the car were tough.  My feet were still wet and heavy, and I just knew I wasn't having my best day.

I had hit 16 when we got back to the car, and it was already pretty hot... so I decided to call it.  I'd been running for almost 3 hours in wet shoes and clothing, and I was done.  The 16 I did 2 weeks ago was pretty easy on me, so I figure I'm still in good shape... I just had a tough day.  It wouldn't have been worth it to tack on 2 more miserable miles.

It turns out some of the others didn't start running until almost 6:45 when the storm was good and gone.  I suppose there's logic in not starting a run during a storm, but boy was I thankful I wasn't still out there running.  By the time I drove back to my place, it already felt even hotter than when I stopped running!

Here's to hoping for no more storms.  Running with wet feet really is tough, and I think it's why my back is still sore today.

No comments: